Saturday, January 3, 2009

Not a very good way to start the new year

First off I got the stomach flu early on Wednesday (new year's eve) morning. I woke up at 2 a.m. and threw up....then again at 5 a.m., 6 a.m., 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m.......luckily that was the last time! In the midst of all of this sickness, I got a phone call from my Uncle at about 8 a.m. He called to tell me that my grandma is dying and probably wouldn't make it more than 48 hours and if I wanted to see her that I should do so as soon as possible. I told him I wouldn't be able to make it that day because I was sick. I felt awful all day.....I was scared to eat anything for fear I would throw up again and I was scared I wouldn't get to say good-bye to my Grandma before she passed away. About 5 p.m. I braved eating some saltine crackers....they stayed down. So I poured a glass of orange Kool-aid and sipped on that.....that stayed down. I was on the mend, but still not feeling up to having any kind of "fun" for New Year's Eve. We ended up going to bed at 10:30, but I had soooo much on my mind, I couldn't fall asleep. I laid there till at least 11:30. I woke up the next morning feeling MUCH better. Unfortunately, I had to wait to go see my Grandma. They didn't want children there and I didn't have anyone to watch my kids, so I had to wait till my husband got home. I made it over there at about 8:30 p.m. and sat and held her hand for about 30 minutes while I talked to my Grandpa. She's on morophine, so she was "asleep" the whole time I was there. The hospice nurse told my aunt and uncle that she hated to put a time-line on things, but she was giving her about 24 hours (which would've been Friday afternoon). I waited in fear of getting the dreaded phone call.....but it never came. She's still hanging on. It's just a matter of time now.

No comments: