Friday, January 23, 2009

What is wrong with me?

I've been so emotional lately. I cry at the drop of a hat....I get angry over nothing....I snap at my kids and my husband for no reason.....I'm exhausted all the time....all I want to do is sit around and do NOTHING....and I've been eating sweets and salty foods like crazy (even when it's not almost "that-time-of-the-month")!
Then I heard something on the radio the other day....Seasonal Affective Disorder.....and I wondered "could this be what's wrong with me?" I read the definition online...it says:

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter or, less frequently, in the summer,[1] repeatedly, year after year. The US National Library of Medicine notes that "some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods. They may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up.

The treatments include light therapy with bright lights, anti-depression medication, ionized-air administration, cognitive-behavioral therapy and carefully timed supplementation of the hormone melatonin.

I defintely don't want to be put on any medication unless it would be ABSOLUTELY necessary! And I can't really afford to go to the doctor for something that MIGHT be wrong with me...so I guess I'll just have to hope the sun comes out more often and tough it out till Spring.....c'mon Spring....only about 3 more months!

1 comment:

ddawn said...

It is so funny that you say that because I tend to get that way in the winter months also. I always thought it was just a change in the weather and not being able to enjoy the outdoors as much, but now I'm thinking maybe I suffer from that condition as well. I am certainly going to do some research on it.