Joshua went to see the Pediatric Neurologist on Wednesday. At first I didn't think it was going to go too good. I started to explain how we came about to think that something was "not-quite-right" with Josh and the doctor kept insisting I tell her what his symptoms were. I got a little frustrated and told her "I'm getting to that".....I was a little reluctant to go right into what I thought was wrong with him because I didn't want her to think "Oh, well, you're just not parenting him right....he needs more discipline"....or something along those lines. It's not something you can just explain. You have to see it and hear it to fully understand how he acts and talks, etc.
Along with a lot of information about his birthmom, LaVern and I both told her that about his anger issues. How he can fly off the handle in a millisecond about the simplest thing. We mentioned how hyper he can be....staying up till "God only knows when" because we have no idea when he finally crashes and falls asleep. We have a gate in his doorway to keep him in his room at night. Otherwise he'd be all over the house! We told her that he's infatuated with wheels, fans, anything round.....but yet he's scared of ceiling fans. He's terrified of heights....even sitting him up on the counter freaks him out. And don't even think of picking him up over your head.....it totally scares him! (not that I could anymore....he weighs 48 pounds!!!) I mentioned that he twirls his plate at the dinner table and that he can't leave our dog alone even though I've told him a million times to leave him alone.....and that he's been bit at least 5 times and still goes back for more!
She then proceeded to do some "tests" on him. Tested his reflexes, his eyes, his coordination, etc. She said he did pretty good....he's a smart boy. I thought "that's great....so we're crazy because we think something's wrong with him".
Then she told us the diagnosis: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
I wasn't sure what to think at first.....I hadn't even considered Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.....I'd researched ADD, ADHD, SPD, ODD, PDD-NOS, even Asperger's Syndrome. After looking online about the symptoms of FAS, I found out that there's a lesser degree called FAE (Fetal Alcohol Effects). It has the same symptoms, but there isn't as much, if any, facial disfigurement and a child with FAE can have a normal to high IQ.
He has to go back to have an MRI and genetics testing done. We were also referred to a Developmental Pediatrician. I'm still doing a bunch of research on this, so I'm a little confused and lost as to what all of this means. But I want Josh to have the best in life and if it takes doing all of this and more for him, then I'm willing to go to the ends of the earth to get it for him!
No comments:
Post a Comment