Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Second visit

Josh's second evaluation was yesterday. This time it was an Early Childhood Services Coordinator specializing in child development and behavior.....she is also a psychologist. She went through a checklist of questions that she asked me and took a bunch of notes. She then went on to do some kind of picture/word association "test" with Josh. He was in an I-wanna-be-goofy mood and wasn't listening very well, so she had to get his attention quite often and repeat the questions. He sat still for a lot longer than I thought he would, but then he got tired of it all and said "I'm outta here"....and he got down from his chair and ran off. I had to chase him down and threatened to put him in time-out if he couldn't cooperate. He came back and sat for about 30 seconds before yelling "I quit".....so he ended up in time-out (he showed his true colors again!). While he was in time-out, she asked if she could observe him at Preschool. I saw no problem with it, so I signed the permission form. Then I went and talked to Josh about why he was in time-out and asked him if he was going to cooperate....he said yes, so we went back to the table and he finished the test. While he was sitting there he would smack himself in the head with his hand.....I reached for his hand and told him not to hit himself.....he turned and hit me and said "stop touching me"......She got a great look at how he acts! LOL

She gave me a form with a list of behaviors that I'm suppose to go through and check N for never, S for sometimes, O for often or A for almost always. She also gave me one for his preschool teacher to fill out. There are 134 questions on the one I have to do!!! But if it helps them make a better informed decision, I'm more than willing to do it. I'm about 90% sure he's going to get accepted into this special preschool.

Oh, I called to get the results of his MRI and blood tests yesterday too, but the doctor was at her other office. So they are suppose to call me sometime today since she'll be in her office at the hospital today. It's about 12:25 p.m. right now and I still haven't heard from them.....grrrr! Guess I'll be making another phone call.

2 comments:

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

hang in there girl!!!! *HUGZ*

~Tom~ said...

Hi Cheryl,

While your son appears to be going through something different than mine did, ( I will have to back read some of your postings), I remember watching my oldest sit and smack himself in the head when being challenged by schoolwork or any type of test. I would sit there in amazement that he didnt knock himself out but, at the same time wonder what could possibly be going on in his mind that he thought this would help. He did eventually outgrow it for the most part. I will say an extra prayer tonight for your son. Good luck with the doctors. ~Tom (Dena's friend)