I wasn't sure what to expect, because this is all new territory for me. Maria (the school psychologist) called last week to tell me that Josh had qualified for "special education", but I had no idea what all that entailed. She asked if it would be o.k. if "the team" met at our home and I said "sure"....not really knowing what I was getting myself into.
In a paper she mailed out to me prior to the meeting, it listed the individuals who would be attending the meeting......I started counting the names and five people would be attending! I thought "holy cow!"
It wasn't nearly as bad as I was imagining.....we sat around the dining room table and Maria went over all the information in their report. It was a compilation of all the evaluations done by her, the Physical Therapist and the Occupational Therapist, along with information that I had given her and evaluations by his current preschool teacher.
After signing a bunch of papers and reviewing some goals that they'd like me to work on with him (along with the OT), we were all done in about an hour. He'll be receiving OT visits 3 times a month for 30 minutes each time at our home, and one visit a month at his current preschool for, I think, 15 minutes (I'm not sure what can be acheived in 15 minutes, but I guess we'll see). It's a start anyway.
He'll be finishing the school year out at his current preschool and will attend this other preschool starting this fall.
Wish us luck! :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment