Well, I finally did it.
I had procrastinated for so long....thinking "maybe it'll get better on it's own", "maybe it's all in my head", "I don't want him to be labeled".
But I finally made an appointment for my son and took him in to see the doctor....with the questionnaire his teacher had filled out in hand. His teacher told me she can't diagnose him, but many of the red flags are there.
The doctor said there is no clinical "test" for ADHD. It's basically a trial and error/success type of thing. And we agreed that my son needed to try medication.
We're trying the lowest dose first. 18 mg.
We'll "tweak" it later if needed.
He took his first dose this morning. Not willingly....he had to be "forced". He doesn't take to new things very well and he had never taken a pill before. He wanted NOTHING to do with it. I had to practically stuff it down his throat. But once it was in his mouth, he took a drink of chocolate milk and washed it right down!
"There...that wasn't so bad now, was it?"
No answer....just a look. If looks could kill, I'd be dead!
15 to 20 minutes later I could already tell a difference in his mood. He didn't argue with me to go upstairs to pick out clothes. He didn't whine when I asked him to brush his teeth. He didn't fight with his sister when she offered to comb his hair. He got ready without complaining.....it was Heaven!
I'm not a huge advocate for kids taking medication, but WHY did I wait so long?! I could've saved myself a TON of stress! This was SO worth it!
Now if he'll just start taking the pill willingly....life will be good!
2 comments:
That is wonderful news Cheryl, my oldest Cody takes 54 mgs of Concerta now and he does real well with that and he is 12. Keep letting us know how he is doing.
That's awesome! It's hard to take that first step, congratulations for doing what was right for you and your family :o) I'm so happy for all of you!!!!!!
Post a Comment