Friday, July 16, 2010

Our short 2010 Vacation

We almost didn't get to go on vacation this year, so a short vacation was good enough for me! We decided to vacation close to home, so we went to Mahoney State Park. I wasn't too thrilled at first, cuz I really wanted to go somewhere out of state. But once we were there, it wasn't too bad.

And right next door to the park was SAC Museum. My husband REALLY wanted to go, but I kept insisting we don't....I figured it would be boring and the kids wouldn't like it.....well, they liked it for about the first 10 minutes....then they were bored. We spent about an hour and a half there. Luckily they had a "playground" area where the kids played while my hubby walked around and looked at everything. Afterwards, he even said it wasn't what he expected.


The rocket in front of SAC Museum

The morning of the same day that we went to SAC Museum, we went on a horseback ride. The kids LOVED this! Kylee's horse was a little ornery and didn't want to follow the trail. He walked off into the tall grass. Luckily the guides were able to get him back in line. They had to tie her horse to the horse ahead of her so it wouldn't wander off again. It was SOOO hot and humid that day! We were sweating so bad. My jeans and shirt were so wet, I had to change clothes when we went back to the lodge!!
Here we are on our horses: Josh was on Midnight, I was on Scout, Hubby was on Bubba and Kylee was on Cody

On our way into the park, there's a Marina where the ducks like to hang out. They cross the road like they own it....we literally had to stop and wait for them to cross! And they don't hurry...they take their sweet time...LOL.


And here's the view of the Platte River from the lookout tower. We were going to go all the way to the top of the tower, but hubby and I only made it as far as the fifth level of stairs (there were about 9 or 10 levels). I HATE HEIGHTS!!! My stomach was doing flips even at this level! Kylee and Josh were brave though and continued all the way to the top! I was so scared for them too, but they acted like it was nothing. They came back down and wondered what the big deal was....LOL.

We also went to Henry Doorly Zoo and the waterpark (located in the state park). I took over 200 pictures at the Zoo! I didn't think to post any and the picture load thing on here always puts the pictures at the beginning if I add more...don't feel like messin' with it. And I spaced off taking my camera in to the waterpark, so I don't have any pictures of that. :o(
All in all, we had a LOT of fun. We will definitely be going back. They also have camp sites and cabins. We're thinking of going camping there next summer! :o)


1 comment:

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

We went to the SAC museum last year and the drive thru animal park sometimes its nice to just check out the places closer to home.