Thursday, April 2, 2009

Look what we made!

I emptied out an egg carton (the paper kind) yesterday and decided to save it because I've always wanted to do some kind of craft project with one. So I thought "I'll check online to see what kind of neat ideas I can find". Kylee noticed it sitting on the kitchen counter and right away wanted to use it for a project of her own. I told her I wanted to look online to see what we could do with it. She, of course, wanted me to look "right away" so we could do a project "NOW"!

So I went online and typed in "Projects with egg cartons". The internet is so amazing.....whenever you need something, it has an answer (most of the time, anyway) LOL

I found several projects, but I wanted something worthwhile.....that wouldn't end up in the garbage a few days later.....plus I wanted something Spring themed......and I hit the jackpot! I found the cutest craft project. And here's a picture of our labor of love........


The instructions said to use orange tri-beads for the carrots, but we didn't have anything like that, so we had to compromise.....at first I couldn't think of anything to use for carrots. Then I thought we could use orange craft foam.....looked in my stash of craft supplies....didn't have any orange foam! So I brainstormed a little more and remembered I had some polymer clay modeling compound (Sculpey). This stuff is awesome.....you can shape it into anything, bake it, then paint it, carve it, drill into it....whatever! So we made carrots with it, painted them orange, then glued pipe cleaner leaves on the top. Oh, the eyes are made of clay too. We could've used googly eyes, but I didn't have anything small enough. The ears are made of craft foam (I actually had some pink) and then I painted the white insides on them. The flower is made of craft foam too. :o)

We had a ton of fun with this! Now we're looking at doing milk carton flowers!!! I will post pics if we manage to get them done....LOL. :o)

6 comments:

Sally's World said...

OMG that is sooo cute, I showed my daughter, no prizes for guessing what we'll be doing the weekend.

BeautyFromAshes said...

How cute! They look great!

Cozyflier said...

Awe, these are so Cute!!!! I'm so glad you put a picture. I bet the kids had a blast. Hope you got pics of them doing it as well for your scrapbooks!!!

Happy Easter!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

We love the bunnies! Adorable!

I like caterpillars made out of egg cartons, too.

Missy said...

Love this! It is just so cute!

Devin said...

Wow that is cute! Way better than anything I could do the best I could do would lick the spoon!!!

Just in case you don't remember me I am Dena's son.